Parents


My parents left this morning to go back home to North Carolina. Their visits, no matter how long, are always far too short. I have a sweet relationship with my Mom and Dad. It was not always that way, but when you become a new creation in Christ – everything changes.
Though my parents are amazing, it is only fair I be honest. There have been some parenting fails that I have to come to terms with…two happened during this very visit.

Sweet Childhood

I am blessed with many wonderful childhood memories. Running down Jockey’s Ridge on North Carolina’s Outer Banks or flying a homemade kite at the Wright Brother’s memorial. Trips to Disney World, Williamsburg, and let’s not forget the trips my parents chaperoned to amusement parks, zoos, and New York City. My needs were always met and many of my wants too.

However, there are misses that burn deep. The Easy Bake Oven. The Trapper Keeper. These missing components of my childhood burn in my mind. Alas, no Easy Bake Oven was ever under the tree or wrapped in birthday paper. School supply shopping was dull and economical. (I suppose vacation meant sacrifices elsewhere.) The beautiful Trapper Keeper would never be inside my book bag.



I have managed to overcome these hardships…one day at a time.

Getting Schooled

My parents and I discussed the possibility of a future Disney trip. I implored my Mom to take me to be a princess for a day. Can you imagine being dolled up like Belle? What a treat that would be. Both of my parents rejected my desire to be a princess for a day.

Then came the day before I started Ministry School this week and once again…no Trapper Keeper. I am okay, but no first day of school picture either. I mean they took me to dinner before class, but no photo to show me going off to my first day of school. Many of my classmates have first day of school photos…where is mine, Mom and Dad?

Back to Reality

Throughout my parents visit, we joked a lot about little hiccups in our relationship. It was all in good fun. In case you did not realize it, all of this complaining was sarcasm. My parents have given me so many things that cannot be bought in a store or ordered online. Sure there have been many material things, but their love and support has been unfailing.

When the Bible or ministers talk about God being a good Father, it is one of the most resonating things that can be said to me about God’s love. I have a Mother and Father that love me, even when I have not deserved it. I have witnessed both of them put themselves in harm’s way to protect me, my sister, and their grandchildren. They have given me unconditional love. I can never do enough or say enough to show my appreciation. I trust their hearts and intentions.

Heavenly Father

Do you remember giving your parent or grandparent a picture you made in school or some horrific art project? You were proud of it, but in retrospect, you know it was hideous. (Macaroni necklaces comes to my mind – couldn’t we make those with Life Savers and eat them later?) What we gave was not going to make it into any art museum, but our parents treasured those gifts. I was excited when I gave those things to my parents and when my own children began to give me similar things…they too are treasured. Our Heavenly Father loves us perfectly and is the ultimate parent. We come to Him with our broken lives. Our brokenness and weakness is like the jumbled art projects we gave our loved ones. God treasures our gifts of praise and worship, He treasures us giving our hearts to Him. In God’s eyes, these are as beautiful as our children’s art projects have been to us.

I understand this dynamic because of the love of my parents and grandparents. Things from my childhood still linger in Christmas ornament boxes or scattered in the house I grew up in. Just as I know I am constantly in the thoughts of my parents, how much more does God dote on me. God love me…more than my own parents. That is so overwhelming and unfathomable. What a blessing to be able to serve a God who loves us so much?

Do you have a childhood memory you would be willing to share? Maybe a funny parenting fail? Please feel free to share it in the comments. Keep it positive!

Comments

Popular Posts