Cambodia Mission - July 14

Today is the best day I think I have ever had. The trip from Siem Reap to Poipet was long, adventurous and blessed. I spent the first 45 minutes to an hour in my personal devotion space. I listened to praise and worship music, read my Bible and prayed. Once I completed my personal time, I was able to enjoy the singing and conversation with the rest of the van. Periodically, Brother Wes would give a word of encouragement or direct a prayer. It was a trip full of anticipation. If I was reading the clock right it took us about 3 hours to complete the trip from Siem Reap to Poipet.

Pastor Perlito’s Church

We arrived at Pastor Perlito’s church and were greeted by a group of children. It was such joy to see them meet and greet retuning team members. Bryceon, Addy, Madison, Caitlin, Lexi and Faith made quick work of making new friends and channelling all the gifts they have for children into these new friends. We did not have long at the church as we were going out to the villages and Elizabeth was conducting a training seminar for the teachers. Honestly, not sure who was happier the children in Poipet or the team from the United States.












As quick as we arrived it was time to divide into teams and go to the villages. I was on Sister Regina's team which consisted of Momma Joi, Erin, Josh, Regina and myself. (all grandparents except Erin.) Entering the area of the village was a bit of an adventure. The van pulls over on the side of the road and we all climb out. There is a tiny little path that we follow to reach the village. When we started walking we were told about 300 meters. (Roughly 328 yards).



Everything started with giving out shoes. These two guys were the first children I remember seeing.
Teacher Ruth lead the children in some songs. They started singing in Khmer. After a moment or two, I recognized the tune…God is so Good. My eyes poured in joy. Sister Regina caught me off guard by telling Lexi and I to preach. Once I opened my mouth, God did the rest. Lexi took the mantle and Ruben finished things up leading the prayer of salvation

Then it was time to put the shoes on the kids and some of the adults. We took each child and sized them for their shoes. The look on the kids faces as we placed shoes on their feet was priceless. I need you to understand that me putting shoes on a strangers feet is a miracle of God. Feet are gross even when they were clean. These feet were not clean. Some of these little ones had open sores and rashes. Some of them were just dirty…I did not even notice. The adults that were blessed with shoes radiated with gratitude.
Once we finished up with shoes the two teams went their separate ways for house to house visits. We went to a handful of houses. We shared the gospel and we shared faith with those who already believed. Our team had 9 salvations and 2 healings.
I prayed with a woman named Kahn. She is a Christian, but worried about her son who had been burned by boiling water. Josh and I prayed over the son. After the first prayer for healing he felt nothing. The mother Kahn said he did not know the Lord. Josh led him in the prayer of salvation and we prayed for his healing a second time. You could see change in his leg. It was seeping, burned and angry looking when we arrived, when we left I could see a change. It was not as swollen. Healing will be complete.

The thing that sticks out to me in this house, other than my concern for causing the house to fall, was praying with the mother. I prayed with  fervency that felt foreign and I knew that was the power of God flowing though me, We joined our faith together for provision, health and protection. I felt such a connection with her. I have felt the power of God move through me before but never like this.

We  met with a man who went by the name Toy. (It was a nickname) We prayed the prayer of salvation with him and prayed for blessing on his home. He invited us in and we sat in his home for a while. He was so hospitable. It was such a blessing to spend that time with in his home.

Our interpreter in the village today was David. His father was or is a Pastor. Let me tell you this man had so much of the joy of the lord. He was so excited to share with everyone and helped guide us through the village. David introduced us to a fruit about half the size of a cherry. It tasted like a pancake with syrup on it. It was perfect…pancakes without the carbs, a miracle. He told us about the village and the poor education of the children. The last house we went too was a believer who had been struggling with providing for the family. It was 20 feet from Thailand. Many in this village will work in Thailand which is about a 6 mile journey. Her daughter lost a baby, a miscarriage as I understand it. She wants to return home, but has not been able to get back.

Each of these people are praying for work. They did not ask for hand outs, they just wanted work or for their poultry or pigs to be fat for a good return. The village people are so welcoming. Here are a few photos of the village.




Once we finished at this village we traveled to Teacher Jens school. We sang songs with her students and distributed shoes. The  kids were so excited to receive the shoes and we were so blessed by their songs and gratitude. We had time for one house visit before be had to go to Teacher Jens school.

Kayla's picture says it all regarding the joy at the school.

We had a chance to visit one family before dinner. This place we had 3 salvations and one healing. The three women were so receptive, The older woman needed the healing. Her legs were painful. Regina prayed for her and she said there was no relief, She once again prayed over her, This time she started walking around with her. When they finished their walk, she was healed. The elder woman was happy, but our young interpreter was elated. She was so over joyed. I don’t have a picture of her face but it will forever be burned into my mind. Her joy was truly unspeakable. At this location, they had guinea pigs, chickens, a cow and ostriches. I did not expect ostriches in Cambodia. We even got a photo of them with the family permission.

We then went to Teacher Jens home. She has 13 students living with her and her companion teacher, Rosana. They graciously made dinner for us. There were a few concerns about how the food would agree with our stomachs. It would be rude and highly disrespectful to not eat. Mind you these folks rely on God to make provision, because they have no other provision. They made fried rice with egg and chicken. They had stir fry veggies, fresh fruit and fried chicken. This was my favorite meal and the best fried chicken I have ever ate. They were so gracious to provide for us. They even purchased purified water to prepare the food for us. (With our weak western stomachs.)

Let me explain to you that we pay 3-4 dollars for 24 bottles of water at Walmart…here we paid nearly 9 dollars for  a case of water. Mind you a good job pays about $10 per day. Would you pay a full says wages for a case of water for strangers? This meal was a sacrifice and a gracious offering to their American friends. We ate, we enjoyed and had fellowship full of joy. (Rosana can teach KFC a thing or two about making chicken.)

Before dinner we had a pick up Volleyball game. I have not played volley ball or anything else is many years. It was so much fun and I have not stopped smiling since this morning. I am still smiling.

Stopping Being A Brat…God Has You

The disciples did not have to worry from day to day for provision and neither do we. These lovely people have nothing and yet they are hospitable and kind. We have so much in the US and we just want to accumulate more and more. My spirit has changed, but God is changing other things in me. Cambodia has opened my heart in ways I could not have imagined. I am seeing people again and not being lost in my circumstances. My cup runneth over.

Before coming on this trip I prayed I would be able to put shoes on feet without freaking out. I prayed that the smells and sights would not negatively impact me. All of this has happened for me…I have not recoiled, been sick, or anything else I worried about. And I can tell you…I have JOY once more. My heart and spirit full. Thank you Lord for this blessing. I have done things without a second thought and been blessed, protected every single time.

The things I have seen regarding the homes in the village, are not worse than things I saw in the US. When I was a probation officer and when I worked with Youth Services in West Virginia, I saw simple, rough shod homes with no electricity or running water. Honestly, many of the homes I was invited into are cleaner than things I have seen back home. They are meager and heartbreaking because I have so much. I had shut my heart to this in the past because I was so overwhelmed by the powerlessness I felt. When you work in law enforcement or social work you have to separate your work from yourself. You cannot get attached and overly emotionally invested. It was an easy thing to learn back then because I was bitter and hurt. Opening back up and seeing people as Jesus sees them has taken time, it took this trip to Cambodia. When I started this trip I confessed to feeling inadequate, that is no longer the case. I am powerless in my own power, but the Spirit of God within me can do ANYTHING. What have I to fear?

My friend Kayla, the one smiling ear to ear in teh earlier photo, shared with me some wisdom she gave a member of her family. After Kayla prayed this person said they felt empty. As the discussion continued, the "empty" feeling was better identified as peace. All the busy crap was gone, whether let go of or taken away, all the things that made this person so uneasy...gone, just gone. When God cleans all that stuff out you  feel weird, because we have not been operating in that manner, without the weight. That is where I am. I was a little concerned because up until yesterday, as much as I felt - nothing was calling me to immediate action, nothing was ripping at me...I felt calm. No, I felt peace and it was so foreign I did no recognize it.

Tomorrow we have another crazy full day. We go to preach at the village churches and then after visit in the village again. I cannot wait to see what God has in store tomorrow. We are here to bless the Khmer people, but my heart is overflowing with the blessings they have given me.

Comments

Popular Posts