God's Time



My blog has been silent since January 5th. I needed time to search my heart, to seek God, and get direction from the Father. When the “True to Sue” blog started it was a search. It was a confused, hurt woman trying to make sense of things. Trying to find herself…mostly in her own power. 

In time, that changed. I changed. I'm no longer hurt and confused. I am healed and seeking. My writings have been geared more toward matters of faith. At times that has looked like commentary on sermons or world events. Other times, it has been a raw expression of my personal struggles. Hopefully, prayerfully that has ministered to people’s hearts and helped them see how great and merciful our loving our loving God is. Interestingly enough, I was writing in my own power. I asked God to make it effective, but I was not spending time asking Him what he wanted me to say. After all, if I want to spread God's message...I should have been consulting the source much more.

In early January, I started pondering the idea of giving God 10% of more than my paycheck. This came largely from reading about David Wilkerson, the founder of Teen Challenge. He sold his TV and spent that time in prayer instead…about 2 hours a day. In a short period of time he was lead from rural Pennsylvania to New York City. From farm land to gang land. His story unfolds and he is led to open Teen Challenge. Sixty years later, countless people have been impacted by this ministry that is now a worldwide source of hope for breaking the strongholds of life controlling problems, such as drug addiction and alcoholism. What if all Christians spent that kind of time with God?

Matthew 6 (GO READ IT)

Our Pastor had been referencing Matthew 6 regarding fasting. In ministry school, the same passage was referred to regarding prayer. Giving is also addressed in this passage of scripture. That could not be a coincidence. The language used for all three stated, “when you”. When you give, pray and fast. It is expected. A gentle indirect command from our Savior. Once more I was asking how I could “tithe” more than just money. What impact would that have if all Christians took this for exactly what was written there in Matthew 6?

To Everything There is a Season

Ecclesiastes 3 has long been a favorite passage of scripture, yet until recently it was words instead of a truth I recognized. During the 21 day fast I was able to go and pray in our church sanctuary during lunch. I was praying for others. I had decided in my heart and mind that that hour would be about praising God and praying for others. Kingdom First…that’s what I wanted to focus on. I was consciously determined to not be so selfish in my prayer.

I came to one request about someone’s writing project. I prayed for her project the way I wanted someone to pray for mine. As I prayed, it was as if someone spoke into my ear “10% Project”. I tried to dismiss it at first, thinking my mind was wondering away from prayer. I refocused and continued praying for my friend’s project. The phrase “10% Project” kept ringing in my mind. Then it was like a flood of images in my mind, everything from future potential to branding. It nearly knocked me out of my seat. I was awe struck.

Have you met those people that need to know why about everything before they start to work? That has always been me. (Just ask my parents.) I want the big picture. I want to know what is expected. I want an idea of the outcomes. Mind you, I want all the information - then I want to recreate and improve the wheel. I have prayed and asked God to show me more than the little piece of the puzzle before me. On that Thursday, God revealed a rapid-fire glimpse of what was possible. It was possible if I stayed in my lane and waited on His time. 

Ask And You Shall Receive

My Mom always told me to be careful what I ask for and I never really listened and learned to do that.  This vision for the 10% Project energized and overwhelmed me. I found myself apologizing to God for wanting to know so much. He doesn’t reveal things to us if they are not helpful. Overwhelming anyone is generally not helpful. I have asked for more for so long. I was insistent. God gave me what I asked for and initially it was far more than I thought I could handle. I quickly went to work and tried to capture as many of the images that flashed in my head of the “10% Project”.

What's Next

February 1, 2019 in a private group page on Facebook, the project launched. I have invited a group of people to commit to 90 days of giving God 10% in finance, engagement with God (to include prayer), and fasting. None of us are at a full 100%, that I know of, but I have seen fruit already. People have fasted for the first time. People are reading their Bible more or seeking additional opportunities for engagement. It is exciting to see growth.

My goal is to launch a new website, The 10% Project, by April. This will be the access for all future blogs I write as well. I will also have a link for "True To Sue" for posterity...😀. I am excited about what God has put on my heart and the impact it can have on others.



Comments

Popular Posts