Meaningful Life - 2018 Close Out

Among the scriptures and quotes from great minds that peppers my planner, I have one quote from Ruth Soukup tucked in the far corner. "A busy life is not the same as a meaningful one."


I have had a lot of time to reflect in the last two weeks. My husband has been working away from home these last few weeks. Our last child left home the weekend of Thanksgiving. It has been me, God, and the dogs. I had a lot of things that needed to be done so the alone time worked to my benefit. I was getting over being sick, had Christmas gifts to finish, and Christmas cards...am I the only one that procrastinates on the Christmas cards?

As I reflected on everything I have going on between ministry school, work, home, and church I realize that my schedule has become more and more full. I am used to a full schedule. I have worked crazy hours most of my adult life, while juggling school and other responsibilities. That is what it was...busy. I do not have much connection or recollection of the things that filled my schedule back then. It feels like a lot of time wasted. They were tasks to complete. Easy forgotten as they were marked of the to-do list.

A Year of Blessings

2018 has been a full year. A mission trip, a son graduating, going back to school and so many other hallmarks. Things I can't help but recall with joy. As I reflect, it is not these big things that jump out at me. My step-son giving me a flower representing my influence in his life, at his Baccalaureate service. It is a prayer meeting in a hotel conference room in Cambodia where I really encountered the joy of the Lord. It was watching a connect group of relative strangers become a family. It was taking my first class in ministry school and having my faith set on fire. It was knowing I heard God's direction for the job I recently took. It was the honest recognition that this random group of people we refer to as our church family...are so much more than what words can describe. Things that seem like little moments to most are the hallmarks of my year. These are the things I am hiding and pondering in my heart as this year winds down.

The Challenge

We are fast approaching a new year. I don't much care for the idea of resolutions, but I think it is a perfect time to set our hearts and minds. My first challenge to you is to look at your calendar, planner, or however you keep track of your life. Of all the things scribbled down, what will impact you? What things are you participating in that will change lives? What are you doing that you will carry in your heart for years to come? If you have those things in your schedule - great! If not, make room. Clear some time out to do meaningful things. Maybe it is volunteering at the church, maybe it is volunteering at a homeless shelter. Maybe it is making a gingerbread house with your eye-rolling teenager. It could be carving out intentional time with parents or your spouse. Definitely find more time for God. Read the Word, pray, and ask God to direct your path.

I look at my schedule now and I see life, hope, and purpose. There is a balance I often attempted to strive for that has finally been realized. When your priorities are in order, balance is a natural outcome.

First Things First

Not long ago, Pastor Luke led a sermon series called "Foundation". Our congregation took the phrase "first things first" and ran with it. It has become part of our culture in our church family. It is a simple reminder that time with God has to be a priority, the first thing of the day. If you need to, start small...but start. Not sure how to get started? You can go to this link and locate a Bible reading plan. There are also tons of Bible apps for your phone and many of those will even read the scripture to you.

Comments

Popular Posts