Thanksgiving 2018 - Part 1

I always start November with this idea to journal or blog about something I am thankful for each day in November. Although, I am going to write things in my calendar each day - I am only promising to post one blog per week relating to Thanksgiving. I am also reading through Proverbs this month. Thanksgiving and wisdom seems like a good combination, don't you agree?

Yesterday, my husband and I were out running a few errands. Within minutes we had three close calls for auto accidents, one of which would have been a fatality. We live in West Virginia and there are some pretty steep hills we drive, even in town. An elderly man pulled out in front of us as we were descending down one of these hills at about 40 miles per hour. My husband has excellent reaction time, so he was able to navigate around the man. With our momentum going down hill, he had not even really slowed up till we were past the man who pulled out in front of us. Normally, a close call you kind of shake off, but almost immediately another person pulled out in front of us and nearly hit another car. Joe was trying to get off the road and yet another car nearly hit us. Once we got the Jeep vacuumed out we went home. We both were feeling the effects of adrenaline. Three close calls is more than enough in any given day. Needless to say, I was exceptionally thankful for Joe's driving skills and for the protection God encircled us.

We came home and started decorating for Christmas. Last year I looked forward to the holidays, but nothing like this year. For years, Joe took care of most of the Christmas decorating because I just did not care very much. In years passed, I battled terrible depression and anxiety around this time of the year. So much darkness surrounded me in the season of light. Not anymore. I am writing this blog by the light of my Christmas tree. There are no ornaments on the tree yet, that is saved for Thanksgiving night.

Renewed Heart and Mind

I have spent a few days thinking about the reason for this change in heart about the holidays. Obviously, my relationship with Jesus is central to that, but let me unpack this for you. My family is blessed. A year ago (November 1) my brother-in-law was in an accident that should have taken his life. He is alive and well. His recovery has been remarkable. Though he still is in the healing process, he is not confined to a wheel chair. He can walk with a brace. He is alive to be Dad to my niece and nephew and husband to my sister. My niece went from hating school to embracing not only her education but growing her faith. At 7 years old, she is reading the Bible and meditating on scripture. My sons who have run from church like Olympians are finding themselves in services, they are reaching out to speak with people of faith. God is working in their lives.

I have two perfectly healthy grandsons, whose mother is their champion. This young woman has blown me away with her determination for family to be central to the lives of her sons. My uncle is a heart transplant patient. He received his heart nearly 20 years ago, that's an outstanding result. My Aunt kicked cancer's butt. My cousin is having a baby that she was once told would be impossible. I was delivered from hemiplegic migraines. Relationships I never thought would be healed have been healed in my family. Not to mention the long life span of my relatives.

Have there been hardships? Go back and read everything I am thankful for, of course the hardships were in the midst of the miracles. God held us through every valley. Sometimes it was our faith, sometimes it was the faith and prayer of others that carried us. The point is, I look at these things and I am overwhelmed at just how good God is to me.

Facing The Storm

Pastor Luke recently did a series called Foundation where the central scripture reference was Matthew 7:24-27, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who builds on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against the house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash." Make no mistake, the winds have blown and the house was beat against, but the house is still standing. It may be weathered, but the house still stands strong.
I am thankful for God's protection on the road yesterday. I am ever so much more thankful for the history of faithfulness I can look back upon. My cousin is about to have her miracle baby next month. My Uncle has a surgery coming up. Financial things pop up for all of us at inopportune times. The storms are real and sometimes they are fierce. I serve the God who calms the storm and gives peace to His child.

When your storm rages, let the rain hit your skin and the wind whip your hair. Give God praise and thanksgiving for everything he has done. We have no reason to fear. This trial, this obstacle will become a testimony. Let God's peace comfort you and His joy fill your heart.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comments

Popular Posts