Why Do You Love Me?

Let's face it, we have all asked or at least thought this question at some point. I saw this question passed differently this morning.Why do you love God?


 
My first reaction was to say "because he loves me" and the lyrics to Jesus Loves Me swell in my mind. To some extent we are programmed with an answer for why we love God. He sent his own son to be sacrificed for our benefit. He forgives our sins. He heals us. What is not to love about God, right?

So let's change that question a bit...what do you love about God? I could not help but to marinate on this a bit. Honestly, what do I love about God? Can I quantify it? Can I really put it into words? The answer is YES.

Going to Cambodia did give me a different perspective on God's love, mercy, and His grace. Sometimes we feel like God is so far away and since getting a new point of view, since witnessing miracles and experiencing peace and joy...God feels so much closer. A month ago I would have answered this query with a list of everything God has done and continues to do for me. It is larger than that now.

I love God's love. This truly unconditional, passionate love God has not just for me but for all of His children. Beyond that, God loves those who are not His. You can be completely estranged from God, you can have no idea who Jesus is and God STILL LOVES YOU. Everyone seems to be crazy about the song Reckless Love and the line about him leaving the 99 for the 1...for me. Think about this, every single person you encounter is "1" He wants to go after. Every person you meet is someone God wants in eternity. That is a love that no mortal words can express.
As people, we can always love more. You should never reach a plateau in your relationship with God because love, like God is infinite. God is the very definition of love. This is what I love best about God.

So I pose two things to you today, challenges if you will. (1) Think about what you love best about God. (2) When you say you love something, substitute God in the statement. God = Love. I love my husband, children, family and friends...but my love is not at the capacity of God. (It should go without saying pizza does not deserve the label of love or any other food item.) Everyday I can strive to love as God loves, that is a task I will never complete until I see Him face to face.

Comments

Popular Posts