Who YOU Say I Am

Remember when we were kids and we talked about all the things we would be when we grew up? This chosen destiny changed frequently, sometimes within minutes. We were fascinated by so many things, had little fear, and thought we could be or do anything. What happened?
I remember telling people I was trying to find myself at some point. I have said I want to "get back to me". So few of us recognize who we really are. We ask what is our purpose, our calling, who am I frequently crosses the minds of many. Some have found themselves sitting across from therapist trying to discover the answers to these questions. CEO's have left lucrative jobs to follow dreams of baking, cooking, writing and the list goes on. What makes us stop and throw in what looks like success for what appears to be struggle? What motivates you to turn off Netflix and get involved? What do you spend your time dreaming about? All of these things are indicators of who you are - but they are not necessarily the definition.
In the past, to identify who I was to myself, I would take assessments. Meyers-Briggs personality tests (I'm a protagonist, ENFJ-T if you please.), personality inventories, quizzes and before I was saved even the horoscope evaluations based on when I was born. I yearned to understand myself. I believed, and still do to a point, that the better you know who you are, the better you function.

Refreshed Point of View

Pastor Will does not know it yet, but he has set me on a journey in our mid-week service last night. He was giving a message out of 1 John 3. In this passage, it talks about us being children of God. Well, Jesus is the son of God (a child of God) as well. If we are children of God, our lives should be righteous resembling Jesus, instead of sinful and reflecting the world. Like begets like. I had human sons, my dog had puppies...we do not generate a different species. If we are God's children, we are of the species of God.

That may sound circular but logic was not my strong suit in philosophy, so apologies. The point is...I should resemble my father, my Heavenly Father. My heart, mind and the whole works should reflect holiness. That may sound frightening to you. Holiness is not perfection, it is the pursuit of perfection in Christ. If you look up the definition of holiness you will find references to sanctification. Not perfect, set apart. Consecrated.

Our year started with Pastor Luke talking about being consecrated. How amazing is it that the teaching on consecration is what makes this message of who we are make sense? Chasing perfection is something I have done in the past. It stresses me out because I chase it an never quite get there. I do not have to chase perfection...I have to chase the heart of God. That is something I can do.
I am going to start pursuing answers to who I am in Christ. I have a list of scriptures courtesy of the internet to start my search. Finding my true self in Christ will open the door to my calling. Are you ready to find yours?


Comments

Popular Posts