Cambodia Reflections - God Moments

Last night our church had a lovely evening at the local pool. It was a chance to fellowship and just have fun. This is SERVE Week where our church pours into the community for those tangible needs like painting, cleaning, home repairs and so much more. Many have been working on Monday and Tuesday with SERVE projects. They painted and did work on local homes, one of the elementary schools. They gave out lemonade at the park and evangelized to people in our community. It is missionary work at home and the week is not even over yet.


As our poolside fellowship came to a close, a young man from our church, Grant, was talking to me about my blogs from Cambodia. He will only know, from this post, how much that brief exchange meant to me. First, it was confirmation that what I wanted to accomplish with the blog was achieved. People felt like they were there with me. Second, he noticed a shift in me during that journey. Then he posed a question that I answered briefly, but want to elaborate on here. He wanted to know what moment stuck out, that GOD moment.

There are moments from this trip that will forever echo in my heart. I cannot qualify them or rank them because they impacted different aspects of my heart, my life, and my soul. I have Philippians 4:8 printed out and hanging on the wall in my office. “Whatever is true, Whatever is honorable, Whatever is Just, Whatever is Pure, Whatever is Lovely, Whatever is Commendable, If there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of Praise, think about these things.” It took going to Cambodia to make this verse come alive.

Whatever is True, Whatever is Honorable

Brother Wes quoted Hacksaw Ridge where the young man is praying, “Lord, help me get just one more.” This became the team slogan for the mission trip. I can’t tell you the last person I prayed with that received Jesus, we prayed with many, but I remember the first.

When I say the first, she was not the first person I prayed the prayer with. I prayed it with a giggling teenager and a man scared of Buddha’s curses. This is the first person who I saw that light flip on in her eyes. This prayer was in earnest. I am not saying the others did not receive, but this one lady I saw it in her person. Her eyes lit up and it was real to her.
We had spoken with a handful of people, most shutting us down or citing Buddha curses or families disowning them. We still planted seeds. We prayed for them. This lady was pumping fuel at a corner stand and her husband was selling shoes on the opposite corner. They seemed so disinterested in us. Once they were not busy with customers, I was able to share the Gospel with her. She quickly said the prayer of salvation. We were both in tears. Once all was done we hugged.

Our team thought the husband was upset, turns out he was just trying to protect his investment. He spoke with us as well and also said the prayer of salvation. Their whole spirit seemed different. She was the first person I know connected with God in the prayer while I was in Cambodia. God’s message is true.

Whatever is Just, Whatever is Pure

God healed me almost two years ago of debilitating migraines. I KNOW God heals. I know there are miracles of all shapes and sizes. I have been in services where people had sight or hearing restored. I did not know these people or how extreme their disability really was. Though you rejoice, those “unseen” miracles are different than seeing a person heal before your eyes when your senses can experience it.

Sunday, July 15th we were in Pastor Perlito’s church for service. After an amazing service, Madison came to me and said she wanted to pray for a specific woman. This woman’s right leg was deformed. She used a crutch and her big toe barely scraped the ground as she maneuvered. (I later learned this deformity was due to polio and the treatment of the disease.) Madison so sweetly approached the woman and knelt before her. She took her feet in her hands and we began to pray. This was not the “please help her, Lord” type of prayer. It was calling on God to extend bone, strengthen ligaments and muscle. After a period of time, Madison asked if she felt better. She respond with “some”. Madison had her stand and she was now balancing on the ball of her right foot. (Far more than we had seen her do earlier.) I encouraged Madison, “Let’s pray for her again.” Madison, Lexi and I began praying again. Madison had once again taken the lady’s feet in her hands. We prayed with more vigor. When we stopped, the lady said she felt no pain. Madison had her stand and all but a little bit of her heel was on the ground. We were all crying and laughing. Madison led her across about a 10 foot distance, without a crutch.

I saw growth and change. A physical change in circumstances that had we wanted, we could have measured and quantified. God be praised. This was pure.

Whatever is Lovely

While with Sister Regina we visited 1 home before our dinner at Teacher Jenn’s. We visited and prayed the prayer of salvation with three ladies. One of the ladies was limping when she came up. We prayed for healing. Once again, she said it felt a little better. Sister Regina took her on a little walk around the yard. She was stepping higher and smiling when she got back to us. Our young interpreter, Srey Roath, told us she felt no pain – she is healed.

The healing alone is worth celebrating but you did not see the expression on Srey Roath’s face. She lit up light Christmas. She was even jumping up and down. The excitement and joy on her face would have been worth the entire trip to Cambodia. In that moment, I saw her realize for herself how real Jesus is. Her faith was ignited in that moment. Her face in that moment is burned in my memory in the best way possible.

Whatever is Commendable

Our first day of being out in Siem Reap ministering was a touch frustrating for me. I was WAY out of my comfort zone. I tried to connect with a few people and kept getting the “I don’t speak English” response as we had no interpreter this day.

Pretty quickly I met Doak. (He pronounced it like Duke) Doak is the victim of a landmine explosion. When he walked up to you he extended what was left of his right arm to shake in greeting. His body is scarred and both of his arms are amputated near the elbow. He stands about my height is very slim. But that smile. I wanted to talk to him, I wanted to know him. To smile like that, despite your conditions…WOW.

Doak sells books walking around the market in Siem Reap. The books all talk about Cambodia’s tragic history with the Khmer Rogue, First They Killed My Father, was among the title selections. Despite his physical limitations he quickly popped books up and offered options. He had a flyer that shared his story. He is the father of four if I recall and this is how he makes his living.
I asked him if he knew Jesus and he gave me a resounding YES. You could see it radiating out of him. My follow up question was, “May I pray for you?” If I am really honest, I wanted to pull the words back. What would I even pray over this man? He had been through so much more than I could ever imagine or relate too. I prayed. I prayed from the heart.

I saw him later in the week in the market. He came up to me and said, “My friend, my friend”.  I felt like I was truly meeting a friend, in the very fiber of my being. That smile is what I will remember about this man. A smile that could light up an entire country. A smile lit with Jesus love and shining thought his eyes.

If There Is Any Excellence

These are only a handful of the moments on this trip. Even as I write I am thinking of other events or moments that resonate so deeply with me. Grant asked me about those “God Moments” that is what these are for me. Ever etched on my soul and in my heart. This was excellence!

“….If there is anything worthy of praise, THINK about these things.”


 

Comments

Popular Posts