Cambodia MIssion - July 19 The Journey Home

There are many moments of this experience that are difficult to articulate. You cannot begin to quantify the spiritual or emotional experience that has unfolded during this journey. I have heard it said that "travel broadens the mind", I agree completely, but it does much more to open your heart.

Siem Reap to Shanghai

The first leg of our trip started at 11:10 taking to the air on China Eastern. I am pretty sure this particular plane was held together with paperclips, duct tape, and our prayers. Takeoff was loud and the landing felt like we were landing on a West Virginia back road. I was so tired I honestly cannot tell you who I was seated beside. I blessedly fell a sleep on this flight. When we landed in Shanghai I was dismayed to learn I was eaten up by flies or mosquitoes on the plane ride. Thank the Lord my benedryl is in my carry on.

Shanghai

When we went through Shanghai going to Siem Reap we did not see the shops or restaurants. In fact, it felt like we were being shuffled through an freight area, devoid of any signs of life other than other passengers rushing to a connecting flight.

After going through security for our transfer flight we went to a spacious waiting area. It was about 4 AM so none of the shop or food vendors were open. The one vendor we wanted and that was open, Starbucks, did not accept US currency - only Yen. This was a little like having a cup of water poured in the dirt in front of you when you are thirsty. Shanghai did have seats without arm rests so our team scattered over many seats and slept the best we could.





Joi and Kayla, I think, scouted out food for the team to eat lunch. (More like brunch but you get me.) The little cafe accepted US currency and was rather reasonable for an airport. Only $1 for a bowl of rice, $4 for french fries, and $2 for soda. My stomach was still doing flip flops so white rice and french fries were a saving grace.

Shanghai to Los Angeles

We headed for our departure gate. Once again we had to load on a shuttle and be driven to our airplane. We wearily climbed the stairs and located our seats. I quietly prayed that if anyone else sat with me it would be only one person. God was gracious and one of the team sat on the outside seat. This trip rotated between sleep, movies, and taking photos from my window seat. Sunrise was breathtaking.



Food seemed less appealing this leg of the journey. So the first photo dark, it is a sandwich which I quite enjoyed. The second is pork rice. We had a third meal of pork rice and vegetables but I was too sleepy to take the photo. The food did not taste bad, I am just over rice for a while.

There was something about knowing I was looking down at US soil. I loved Cambodia. It was beautiful. The people so welcoming. The US is home. When they announced our decent into LAX, I could not help but think of all the freedoms I have as a US citizen that so many others in the world go without. It even excited me to fill out my customs form.




Los Angeles to Las Vegas

I honestly expected to be delayed in LAX. It is such a massive facility. We landed, went through customs and collected our bags. WE had a little delay with Erin and her broom. Erin, I love you but that broom better get used for more than decoration. (Just kidding, OK not kidding but you better enjoy that broom.) At baggage claim we said goodbye to Elizabeth and Ruben. This ended their leg of the flights. They were such a blessing to the team and the people of Cambodia.

It was a bit of a hike from the China Eastern terminal to the Southwest terminal. We made there without issue. You use kiosks to get your tickets and luggage tags. Once all the baggage was dropped it was yet another security checkpoint. It moved relatively fast. I have to say we have been blessed that most all of our security check points have had very nice people. It is one hectic job and I just want to say thanks for all that TSA is doing to try and keep us safe.

I am so sick of airports. Each airport seems to have its own personality. LAX is actually quite nice, but enough already. Lets get home. We located our gate and scattered for food and bathrooms. The next hop is less than an hour with a two hour layover. Well, that was the plan...then the flight was delayed. Now, we are just praying to get to Las Vegas in time to catch our connecting flight. We are about 45 minutes delayed.

This flight was super quick, we had a touch of turbulence but it was barely noticeable. They advised us there were some storms but I never saw anything. Except views of the dessert, some crop circles form husband and of course the Luxor. How beautiful?


Waiting to board the final flight...

Las Vegas to Pittsburgh...HOME

We landed in Vegas with little time to spare. We could see the strip as we were landing. I would have loved to see it at night but honestly...I never need to go back to Vegas. If the airport is any indication of what a city is like, I can go without Vegas. there are slot machines and video gambling machines at every turn. People are drinking and the airport honestly felt dirty. My spirit was very uneasy here. Suddenly, I am thankful for the delayed flight so we can spend as little time here as possible.

Final boarding. The last flight we will take to get us home. No window seat this time so I have no photos to offer. Just relief that I am one flight away from being home. I talked with Kayla for a few minutes as we took off. I had my 7-Up and snack, then put on Pride and Prejudice while closing my eyes to sleep. About the time the movie ended we were coming up on the decent into Pittsburgh. (Wish I could have slept this much going to Cambodia.) The landing felt a little rough, but otherwise we were there in one piece. If seemed to take forever to get off this plane. One quick ride and we would be at baggage claim.



We were all getting a little loopy at this point. Of course, everyone needed to go to bathroom while we were at baggage claim. I am certain it was a matter of 10 or 15 minutes but it felt much longer. Dakota's husband was there with a passenger van for the bulk of the team and Joe had driven the van back up for the luggage. I was so happy to see him. We got the luggage loaded and the team made their way to the shuttle to get the van. We all got to the church around 530 - 6 AM. The marathon of travel was at a close.

Comments

Popular Posts