Praise for Heaviness


If you are like most people, the idea of praying for extended periods of time, especially at home, can be difficult. I don't think it is an issue of being willing...the flesh is just weak. If I get still to pray at home, I will soon be dozing off.

One of our pastors challenged the church to spend at least 15 minutes in prayer daily. I have prayer points with scriptures that I work through. Some very specific prayers are etched in the pages of my planner. Though I know this is beneficial, it was feeling more like a chore or checklist than talking with God. That changed when I went "off book" last week.

A friend shared a video of Upper Room Worship off YouTube and my prayer life has shifted. I turn on their worship everyday at work and listen to nothing else. At home, after I read my devotion or scriptures I turn it on. I stand, eyes closed and lean into worship. This is my prayer time. It started with praying and worshipping for the length of a song, 10-15 minutes. This morning, over half an hour. I walk around the room talking out loud to God. Thanking Him and interceding for others. I've seen in a short time my prayers become bolder. I find my faith growing. I am connecting with Heaven.

This is not because of a YouTube channel. Make no mistake, this worship is anointed and impactful - but it is not because of one specific video. The worship from this group is powerful and sets the tone for me to worship and praise God without it becoming a checklist. It helps to silence all the things that pop into my head when I pray and should be focused on God and his divine presence. I'm engaged, moving and prayer has become active...my mind does not wonder off.

We hear about going into our prayer closet...this is a glimpse into my prayer closet. I stand alone before God enjoying His presence and engaging heaven. It's the best part of my day. I give praise and He takes all my heaviness away.

So I challenge you. During your prayer time, get up and move. Listen to worship music and spend time being grateful for God's presence. Raise your hands, speak in tongues, reach for Heaven with your entire being. It will change you for the better.

Comments

Popular Posts