In The Hands of God: Words of Life Promise Box V4

This week our Pastor is doing a series on Facebook Live (watch here) on the 5 Keys to Being Lead by the Holy Spirit. No, we are not talking about angelic visits or burning bushes, we are talking about getting into God's word and the gentle whisper of the Holy Spirit. Pastor Luke does an excellent job presenting this practical study, where you can actually "get it". The most important key I believe was when he talked about the Word of God speaking to us. This of course leads us to today's verse from the box.

"...Let us fall now into the hand of the Lord; for his mercies are great." II Samuel 24:14

I have occasionally been accused of speaking in either "bumper sticker" or "quotes". What can I say? Some of the most impactful things I have encountered in my life have been packaged in a sentence or two. Some time ago, our Pastor preached a message where he repeated "closer in, higher up" referring to our relationship with God. This phrase is constantly coming up in my mind, reminding me to push instead of giving up. It would certainly fit on a bumper sticker.

Today's verse did not immediately jump out to me. Then I looked up the rest of the verse. "David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into human hands." Ok, God...now I hear you. 

The Primary Way God Speaks to Us Is Through His Word

I an too easily distressed. I have high expectations about my performance at work. I have high expectations of the areas of service I volunteer in. Occasionally, I am accused of being perfectionist. I am oriented to process. Though I am a creative person, I need to see something logical in the way things are accomplished. This divergence between the creative and the logical creates a cacophony of "noise" in my head. To the point me reasoning things out can drown out the conversation of actual people in my proximity. If I am ever quiet and look irritated, I am probably arguing in my head with myself. It is completely draining.

All that noise, creates confusion when I try to hear what God is leading me to do. I read a passage of scripture or a book on faith and have this moment of enlightenment, only to question, "God, was that my idea or you?" Then I start to back pedal.

David shows us how to handle our distress, "Fall now into the hand of the Lord". My morning devotion was about not falling into the pit of self-pity. One of the scripture references was Hebrews 12:1-2. This scripture talks about striping off every weight that slows us down and goes on to encourage us to "run with endurance the race God has set before us".

Distress draws us close to that pit of self-pity. Our human nature tends to give in easily to whining about circumstances. When we complain, or whine, it weighs us down. A rough day that drives me to tears rarely stops tugging me down when the tears stop. It has a tendency to linger a few days. The weight of distress can feel unbearable.

The answer is easy...DON'T BEAR IT. I said the answer was easy, but the practice may take some time. We have practiced all our lives falling apart, now we have to practice falling into the hand of God. Praise God and give Him thanks. Keep a few emergency scriptures close at hand or rooted in your mind. Play praise and worship music, anoint your home and workplace. Fall deep into the presence of God. 

Final Thought

Yesterday, while I was praying I finally admitted to God I was mad. I am still not 100% sure what or who I am mad at, but the frustration of certain unanswered prayers, frustration at the meagerness of my faith, frustration of not feeling a clear leading of the Spirit, and...well the list could go on a while. I asked God to forgive me, to show me what I was doing that displeased Him. The only thing I kept hearing in my mind was...time.

We have to trust God's timing in all things. Reverend Billy Graham did not start off as the man recognized as America's Pastor. The men and women of faith we read about or meet, did not become towers of faith overnight...neither will you or I. God does not force himself on people, so it can take months or years for some of those we love to come to the Lord. When things get discouraging, do not be discouraged. Trust that God is working in whatever the situation is. Dig deep in the word and find scripture to speak to those issues. 

Most of all, remember God loves each of us. He meets us where we are and if we are in a moment of distress, he is there with hand outstretched to pull us closer to Him.



Comments

Popular Posts