Confessions of a Sugar Addict


Hi, my name is Sue and I am addicted to sugar.
Do not take this post out of context. I am not making light of AA or NA. I am telling you that sugar or food addictions are real. Not because I have a medical degree or work as a nutritionist. Addictive behavior takes many forms. I am bless to have never had an issue with drug or alcohol addiction. That being said, sugar seems to be y kryptonite.

We have had a rough couple of days. Nothing horrific, just reports that frightened us. God is going to work it all out. We have acted on that faith, so I KNOW things will work out. Unfortunately, it usually takes me a good hour or two to pull out of the nose dive and remember…God is in control. (That is much improved timing by the way.)

Sprinkle Some Sugar on That

We are working toward following the Trim Healthy Mama way of eating. It is NOT a diet. The only real restriction is no sugar and white stuff like refined flours. Since I need to lose weight it does take potatoes off the menu for a time and I should only have “approved” pasta. Otherwise most of the food is rich in flavor, decadent even. It is really about fueling our body properly and treating our temple the way God intended.
When I stress out…I like to eat. When I set aside time for writing, I plan for hot tea and a snack. (This is usually a healthy snack because writing is not stressful.) With the last several days throwing curve ball after curve ball…I was stressed and craving sugar. Now there is cheating, which is snagging a candy bar from the vending machine. This was not “cheating”. This was jump of the wagon, light it on fire and roast my marshmallows in the flame. This was buy Oreos and dip them in frosting off the wagon. In other words, making up for the sugar I have been phasing out in less than 12 hours…okay less than 6 if I am honest. What makes it worse, yesterday was a day that I was going to fast.

If I am honest, I am glad this happened. I had noticed some things in my system that I had somewhat attributed to the decrease of sugar in my diet. After my shameful binge into cotton candy, chocolate dipped, and frosted oblivion…I learned a valuable lesson.
Sugar is the devil
This is literally the “morning after” my sugar depravity. I have a headache. There is a nasty coating of mucus in my throat and my sinus passages ache. I’ll spare you the details of stomach discomfort. These were all things I dealt with regularly before January 1st. Then I participated in the corporate fast and got a lot of this mess out of my system. After the fast I had a little sugar but nothing extreme. I knew I had felt uncommonly well for January and February. Usually there is a sinus infection or other illness…not this year. I really think the sugar thing played into my overall well-being.

So today is a new day. I have my Good Girl Moonshine to sip on through the day and some bottled water. The fast meant for yesterday is being engaged in today. With God’s help I will be back on track, feeling better in body and spirit.

Disclaimer: no I did not eat cotton candy, chocolate dipped, frosting…that is too much even for me.

Comments

Popular Posts