Consecrate

The last few weeks our sermon series has been "Consecrate". If I am honest this has always been one of those "religious" terms. Important, special, but not necessarily pertaining to me personally. I think part of it comes from me having a ceremonial concept of the word and not a real understanding of what it means to consecrate myself.

Consecrate is not the only "religious" word or term I have shied away from. "Holy" or "Woman of God" are things that have scared me to some extent. Not because I do not want to be those things, but the fear of not being those things. My fear of being a hypocrite causes me to hesitate more than I care to admit. So is it better to step out and take the risk? Is it better to diminish to avoid being viewed as a hypocrite? God's will is for me to be a Woman of God. It is God's will for his people to be holy, consecrated. If what I am trying for is God's will is there really any risk? Aren't people going to pass judgment regardless? (Yes, I think too much and ask more questions than you can imagine.)

2 Timothy 2:20-21 is an anchor to the consecrate series being delivered by Pastor Luke. "In a wealthy home some utensils are made of gold and silver, and some are made of wood and clay. The expensive utensils are used for special occasions, and the cheap ones are for everyday use. If you keep yourself pure, you will be a special utensil for honorable use. Your life will be clean, and you will be ready for the Master to use you for every good work." The analogy of common utensils gives a great visual of setting ourselves apart for God's use. In my house it is glassware...pint glasses or mason jars for everyday use and the fancy stuff for company. Though this explains the consecrate part, I urge you read a little further to verses 22 and 23 you find the instruction for how to consecrate yourself. 2 Timothy 2:22-23, "Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts. Again I say, don't get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights."

Pursue righteous living is what really sticks out to me in verse 22. It doesn't say "be perfect". There is nothing that tells me to rely on my own strength...pursue righteous living. In following righteous living I make myself an available vessel for the Lord to use. Under the anointing and power of the Holy Spirit...that is when all things become possible through Christ. Last week Pastor said that to consecrate is a change in purpose. If we have changed our purpose to the cause of Christ, to righteousness for His name's sake...then haven't we consecrated ourselves?

Skill or Anointing

Last week's message had a focus of availability. Today it was ability. There are two types of ability one is skill, the other is anointing. We all know skilled people in music who sing or play in such a way that it brings us to our feet with an ovation of appreciation. We also know people that are so anointed that seemingly all they do impacts lives. If they sing it touches the heart, if they write we feel as if they are in the room with us holding our hand, and when they pray we feel strongholds break. I have sat in churches with beautiful music that never brought a tear to my eye. I can't get through a worship service in my church with out damp eyes. The difference is not a matter of skill. I have read passages in Lisa Bevere's books that made me feel like she was saying directly to me, "Lovely, get up, grab your sword and let's do this." It is the impact of anointing.

If you have not heard it, you have read it on this blog at some time...God does not call the equipped, He equips the called. So this week, set a little more time aside for God. Lay aside your phone and turn off Netflix. Seek righteous living. One of the things I have been praying recently is for God to make me feel nauseous when I engage in something that offends Him. I am not actively pursuing evil in life but I do not want to inactively fall into a snare. My reason for this prayer is based in Psalm 139:23-24 "Search me. O God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you and lead me along the path of everlasting life. I like to couple that with 2 Corinthians 10:5 "We DEMOLISH arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

I do not know your situation. What I do know is that each of us have to make a decision to consecrate ourselves daily. It's can't be a "Sunday thing" that we do. We have to pursue it with the same zeal we pursued our careers, educations and significant others with. Quiet the doubts with 2 Corinthians 10:5. Shame and insecurity are not from God. Pursuing righteous living, having a life consecrated to Him is where joy and peace are found.

I LOVE My Church

If you have read more than a few blogs you know I love my church and our amazing staff. If you do not have a church, please come visit. You can find details at Centerbranch.org. I an not employed by the church nor do I speak on their behalf, so please remember this blog is my thoughts and interpretations.

Also, you can check out the Consecrate Series, and many others, on Facebook at the Centerbranch Facebook page. (just in case the hyperlink does not work https://www.facebook.com/Centerbranch/).


Comments

Popular Posts