Thanksgiving Part II

I have said many times that Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It starts the entire holiday season which in our home includes my husband and youngest son's birthday, birthdays of very close family and friends, Christmas, New Year's and so many more reason to celebrate. This year the Thanksgiving meal was a little...different.

We brought together multiple families for friends-giving meets Thanksgiving feast. My in-laws, my parents and our household attended. My Momma and Sister in Christ and their family attended. My dear friend, her husband and kids were there too. It was an amazing, loving time filled with food and laughter. There was something I missed...my sister and her husband.

My brother-in-law is making progress in his recovery...but it is a process. I cannot imagine the difficulty for my sister during this time. I seem to have been built for crisis, my sister not so much. My brother-in-law is also the kind of guy that wants...no needs to take care of his family. Beyond the physical pain and healing process, I imagine the weight of worry to be ever so much more. In the midst of all these challenges there has been a shift. A change in hearts. A realization that God can heal relationships in a way the Doctor Phil's of this world will never be able to touch.

My sister Jaime and I are not those inseparable sisters we see in movies who are each other's besties. I love my sister more than words can express - we are just very different creatures. We have taken different paths. She is 8 years younger than me so that plays a part. Understand, there are no ill feelings but there has always been distance. My sister and brother-in-law have felt that we thought of ourselves as better than them. I don't, but I can see how that would have been interpreted. Sometimes life experience and hardness of heart hide the best of intentions. Fortunately, neither my husband nor I are the same people we were when we lived in North Carolina.

With all the craziness in my sister's life, she sent a gift to me through my parents. A lovely little notebook set with beautiful shades of purple and butterflies. (not sure if she knows I love butterflies - but she knows I love purple.) On the cover of this notebooks it says, "Faith in God includes Faith in His Timing". I cannot see this notebook without choking up and tears forming. As a family we are each facing massive challenges and obstacles. As a family we have talked and prayed about faith. Faith in God healing Lenny. Faith that God would make a way for my son, his girlfriend and their children. Faith for provision for my parents as they retire. Faith for provision for Joe and I. Before I got serious about my walk with God I used a different "F" word frequently and with zeal...Faith has taken the place of that word. It is in every text I send as a signature "God is Faithful" and in every prayer that I pray. How do I keep missing the faith in his timing part of the equation?

This lovely, thoughtful gift is a reminder that healing is taking place on may levels: physical, financial, and in our relationships. I am reminded that God works all things to the good of those who love him, who serve him. God did not create the chaos in our lives, but he is the author of the blessings that are evolving amid the storm. I am not thankful for broken relationships - but I am thankful when they are healed and grow strong. I am not happy or rejoicing in Lenny's injuries, but I rejoice at the spiritual growth that is happening. I am excited about the testimony I will hear from my brother-in-law in the weeks and months to come.

I would love to hurry the process along, as would we all. That is my nature...I want things done now. (I get that from my Mom just in case someone is wondering) I like my plans, procedures, and having a process. Let's face it though, God is a far superior project manager than I could ever be. His scope is limitless and his time line is infinite. There is a reason for his timing. I may not see it now. I may never understand His timing, but from here on out I pray for grace to have faith in his timing.

 
He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

Ecclesiastes 3:11  

Comments

Popular Posts