You're A Wonder, Wonder Woman

I LOVED Wonder Woman as a little girl. I had the underoos and was convinced for a time that I could grow up to be her. Even as a little girl I knew she was beautiful, but it was more than that. Wonder Woman was strong, kind and she protected people. Her heart was always in the right place. She fought for justice. Between her and the Bionic Woman I had amazingly strong female role models. I am sure at some point people talked about them being sexy...but that was not the message this girl received from her childhood super hero women.

Fast forward several years. I was so excited to see Wonder Woman on the scene in the last Superman/Batman release. I was excited about the upcoming movie, but truthfully...I was worried too. The last two decades we have had a plethora of role models. Disgraced and embattled political figures. (I'm not pointing fingers...there are simply too many to list.) The movie, music and reality stars have left much to be desired. When 13 year are girls are sucking their lips into bottles to look more like a Jenner or comparing themselves to a Kardashian...something is seriously wrong with the role models we are putting in front of our kids. Even cartoons and kids shows have a tendency to sexualize and marginalize women. In the midst of fighting glass ceilings and striving for equal rights, how did we let this happen? The last public female figure I remember getting excited about was Princess Diana. Yes, she was beautiful and duh she was a princess, but she had such kindness about the things she did. She reached out to the unlovely and literally walked through mine fields. Princess or not, that is a person to admire.

Back to Wonder Woman. I loved the new movie. (See trailer here.) I will own it and watch it till my family hides the Blu-Ray. Gal Gadot's portrayal of Wonder Woman, the script, direction etc....all lived up to everything I loved about the Wonder Woman from my childhood. One exception. I think the modern Wonder Woman is stronger and more confident. It is evident that her motives come from love and a duty to protect mankind. Learning more about the leading lady impressed me more. First line of her IMDB bio is "Gal Gadot is an Israeli actress, martial artist and model." It goes on to state she served 2 years in the Israeli Defense Forces, oh and she was Miss. Israel in 2004.If you are going to look up to a model and actress, how about one who serves her country and can take care of herself.

I was worried they were going to turn her into some "sex kitten" distracting men with her effortless beauty. Let's be honest, you put a beautiful woman in the room or on the screen, people will notice. The thing is, she did not look for that attention. It is clear in the lines of the story she is on a mission and these ridiculous men keep getting in her way.

She is strong, fierce and still my favorite super hero. I look forward to the continued story of Wonder Woman in the DC Universe. Please stay true to her strengths and ultimate motives. Continue to make her worthy of being a role model.

Just general information...my sister was named by me. She is named after the Bionic Woman, Jaime Sommers and Marie Osmond. Diana, Wonder Woman's name did not come up because back then...I thought her name was Wonder and that would have been a stupid name for my kid sister. Right Jaime Marie?

***Side Note***


Parents I would probably watch the movie before letting my young kids run out to see it. There is violence in the fighting and a brief scene on Paradise Island that although are not nude, might not be something you want your child to see. There are a lot of positive talking points to take from this movie if you choose see it. For me and my husband, it was a great date night movie.

Please do not spoil the movie for others, but please share your opinions on the movie. I would love to hear about your favorite super hero and why they are your favorite. Come on...this is the one time it is all in good fun.


 

Comments

Popular Posts