With One Arm Behind My Back....I Mean In A Sling

I started out yesterday with purpose. I had my sermons and music loaded on my phone to keep my mind monsters at bay. I read my bible. I prayed. I actually prayed quite a bit. Then I went to the hospital.

Ok, I left a few steps out of there. I inspected a vehicle yesterday morning and the gravel, sand, cement...whatever debris it was from the deteriorated sidewalk just gave way when I stepped on it. When I was in corrections we learned how to do break-falls. It is considered a safe way to fall. Needless to say break-falls going face first were not my strong suit. The attempt saved my knees but my hip and shoulder were not as lucky. I went to the emergency room after talking with my supervisor. I refuse to go to MedEx after the experiences I have had there. They made sure my bones were intact, put me in a sling and sent me on my way. (I love Stonewall Memorial, it is always fast and the people are so friendly.) Doc said rest the shoulder and the knee a few days and follow-up with primary care physician.

My knee is not a concern. It is scraped. Today my hip is sore...again not a real concern. The shoulder has me confounded. I'm right-handed so there at are a few tasks I cannot do easily. It seems to relate to how my arm rotates and I can't reach behind me without discomfort. Reaching to wash my hair...kind of hurts. The motion of fork to mount is really uncomfortable. The muscle from the shoulder to the neck aches like a beast. I have to say discomfort because I am smart enough to stop moving in a direction before I hit pain. I think I sound paranoid for wanting to see a follow-up physician. Here is the thing...I've never injured my shoulder so I do not know what is normal. When I hurt my knee a year ago it was old hat. Between knees, wrists and ankles I could probably treat myself. This is new. I am resisting the urge to check out the symptoms on WEBMD. I am convinced googling your symptoms always results in thinking you are dying. (No seriously, I've done the research and my Doctor told me to stay away from google.)

Talking To Myself


I know my body is already healing. I know I will be fine. It is the steps between my current condition and my future condition that give me pause. Kind of sounds like the mind monsters from my previous post. Let me share with you what I have told the mind monsters this time.



Mind Monster: Your are missing work and you don't know how long before you can return. Remember last time.

My Response: "fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Mind Monster: Money. It means you are losing money. Worry about paying the bills, worry about your insurance.

My Response: "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

Mind Monster: You should be worried about everything. You are just a number to the company and a chart to the doctor.

My Response: "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." Philippians 4:8

Mind Monster: Your faith isn't strong enough.

My Response: They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death" Revelation 12:11 and "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5

The last mind monster statement is the hardest to deal with, "Your faith is not strong enough". I do not like admitting I struggle with stepping out in faith, but I am learning that every Christian walking in faith, struggles at times. I envy (yes I realize that is a deadly sin...work with me) people who walk in dominion with a level of faith that makes mountains want to move for fear of being tossed into an ocean. (#goals)

The strongest among us battle with mind monsters. We doubt ourselves. One of the sermons I downloaded spoke to this. We can handle nothing, God can handle everything. So speak to your mind monsters, rebuke them and run them off. Do not entertain the thoughts they give birth too. You are beautiful, strong, wise, powerful and faithful through the grace and mercy of God. Are we really going to let a dumb thought steal that from us? Philippians 4:13 states, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. A few verses earlier in verses 6-7 we read "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." We can do all things through Christ but there is a little more to it than just taking the bull by the horns. Prayer, supplication and THANKSGIVING are components to doing all things through Christ.

I am not thankful for a shoulder injury, scrapped knee or injured hip. I am thankful I have tools through my faith and through my company to deal with my injuries. I am thankful people are praying for me. I am thankful for kindness, love and forgiveness in my life.

Share your thoughts or favorite scriptures for dealing with mind monsters.


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts