Expert

My Papa Duke is a source of unconventional wisdom and silly retorts. His balance of tongue-in-cheek comments and knowledge kept me hopping my whole life. He's a southern man, so yes, things like "fixin' too" were common phrases. Statements about southern belles being "real ding-a-lings" and "it only takes a dollar more to go first class" far overshadowed any common southern slang. While scrolling through my Facebook feed another of his statements came to mind. He would ask, "Do you know what an expert is?" You would then make an attempt to answer and he would tell you, "An expert is a drip under pressure".

Drip, Drop


Throughout my feed are "free webinars" from this expert or that expert. Most of the blogs I come across someone is presenting themselves as an expert. Yes, these people are knowledgeable and educated, but seriously - most of what is being distributed on the web from "experts" is common sense. Common sense wrapped as a gift with a hidden price tag somewhere.

I've read multiple guides to make blogging successful and all of them talk about presenting yourself as an expert. Seriously, the only thing I am an expert at is me. I don't just mean figuring myself out, but my experiences. What many experts will not tell you is that experiences and personal priorities and drive are key factors in being successful. Depending on your field you could be an expert today and obsolete in 6 months. Criminal intelligence cycles quickly, especially in gang intelligence. When my husband and I dealt with gang activity associated with our jobs were subject matter experts in a very specific and narrow area of gang intelligence. If you set me in the middle of LA or New York...I could help identify gang members but I would quickly have gone from expert to novice. I am an expert in what works for me with my essential oils...I am clueless as to what works for you. I know I will NOT do cardio 3-5 days a week on a treadmill, stationary bike or elliptical. That does not work for me...it might for you. Being an expert relates to environment, information and if the tools you market can be utilized.

I could complete a SWOT Analysis for any job, paid or volunteer, I have engaged in; however, outside my current job these analysis would be obsolete. (SWOT analysis is an analysis of strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats) The information and knowledge I obtained and cultivated are no longer timely or relevant in relation to gang intelligence.

Stop Dripping, Let Your Gifts Flow


Instead of going backwards, I am turning some of those expensive lessons on process and project management toward my personal life, career pursuits and starting to evaluate some of the teams I work on at church through this lens. I do not claim to be an expert, but I have extensive knowledge that can improve circumstances around me. I can cultivate improvements in my life and in the lives of those around me. I am utilizing these tools of improvement to access various career opportunities as they present themselves.

I am not a drip under pressure. I am a life long learner that wants to cultivate improvement. Improving processes is simply put as being a good steward. 1 Peter 4:10 states, "Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God's grace in its various forms." I do not have to be a professionally certified anything to utilize the knowledge and gifts I have to serve others. That service can be to my church, my career or my family. I have an obligation to share the things I know, otherwise, what was the point in learning the lesson in the first place.

After all, I do not want to be just another ding-a-ling...err Southern Belle, ya'll.

 

How about you? Is there a gift you have that you are not sharing? Are you sitting back waiting to be asked or are you actively engaging to be a good steward? We do not have to be experts to give solid guidance. Sometimes experience is far better than expertise...

Comments

Popular Posts