Jesus on The Main Line

Growing up there was a song we sang, "Jesus on the mainline, tell him what you want". That's about all I remember of the words.

Today we are not calling people, we text. Even my parents text. Not as much as my sons, but texting has replaced a lot of phone calls and email has replaced a lot of snail mail.

This past weekend we had the West Virginia Youth Convention at our church. When we broke into small groups at lunch we had a brief discussion about prayer. I asked these young ladies if they texted their friends 1 time a day. (You guessed it they laughed at me). So I raised the number by 5 and so on. They text alot. But it is one line, an emoji.



Then I  presented them with the question of talking to God. I do not want to diminish the importance of taking time in prayer. Prayer is vital and we must have designated time to dedicate to prayer. However, when you are being bullied at school a quick, "thank you Lord for loving me, please help me through this" can change the course of your day and order your steps to God's perfect will.

Just as I challenged these young women, I challenge you. When life gets murky today, take 10 seconds to thank God for being there, for loving you and then ask for what you need. Do this before you call or text your friend. When you get frustrated in traffic, upset about your cold fries, irritated with your boss or worried about your finances...take a moment. Let God know you are thankful and ask Him for help.

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."

Comments

Popular Posts