YES! Jesus Loves Me

In the bustle of writing the previous post it triggered some cascading thoughts about the love of Jesus. Some of you may recall a book titled "Everything I Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten". It occurred to me while writing the "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing" post that everything I needed to know about God's love for me...I learned in the toddler room at church.

Two songs stand out in my mind, "Jesus Love Me" and "Oh, How He Loves You and Me". One of the biggest obstacles, in my humble opinion, for Christians is grasping that God really loves us. It seems a new believer is more ready to embrace that than those of us raised in church. Yet, those of us raised in church have been singing about how much Jesus loves us since we started walking.

(Pause for light bulb to come on)



"Jesus Loves Me" sums up the bulk of what we need to know. Jesus loves us. We are weak, but he is strong. It doesn't stop there. Verse 2 covers forgiveness of sin and verse 4 the promise of life eternal. (I don't particularly like verse 3 - but of course he watches over us too.)

The next time you teach little ones "Kids Songs", listen to the words. You are setting up a foundation for their faith and teaching them the most basic element of faith. Jesus loves me. There is no qualifier. Even in our sin Jesus loves us. We are not God's children till we accept him, but he still loves us before we even know him. With God, everything starts and ends in love.

Comments

Popular Posts