Joseph, My Valentine

This time last year I gave a mini rant about Valentine's Day and the love/hate relationship I share with the rosy-balloon-heart-chocolate-covered affair.  (Check it out http://truetosue.com/2016/02/14/valentines-day/)

It would not be Valentine's Day if I did not comment on what a racket but I am saying that and ending the statement. I had a great night with my husband last night. We did the dinner and movie thing last week as I am going to be at a work event this evening. Last night, we were walking down memory lane. It started with him playing random songs to see if I knew the names and artist. (I love music, but this is actually not my forte. I could know every lyric and have no clue who the artist is. It's a gift.) I countered with playing classic country music (cause that was what I did know). It was all great till we realized music from our teens was now considered classic music. We played name that tune, sang along with old favorites and embarrassed ourselves completely. In other words, we had the time of our lives.



My husband is not always hearts, flowers and wordy expressions of love. He is the one who picked out our songs. The first, "Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts and the second "All of Me" by John Legend. He is the man who read poetry to me in front of a full restaurant on Valentine's Day 15 years ago. He is also the man that gave me tickets to "Phantom of the Opera" as a wedding gift and watches cartoon movies with me at the Drive-In. He dances with me in the kitchen...sometimes for the singular purpose of freaking out our children. He is the one who drove me to the admissions office after our honeymoon so I could enroll and pursue my undergrad degree. The only people who have shown that much faith in me are my parents and my aunt. When I tell you my husband is my best friend it is not pretty sentiments. It is truth. It means sometimes he tells me I am being a brat. (Usually applies to laundry or how I load the dishwasher.) He tells me when it is time to retire certain clothes in my wardrobe. He reminds me I cannot please everyone. Most of all he let's me know that I am in his heart and mind.

It really is the little things. Stump the chump karaoke in my living room or him feeding me a chocolate covered strawberry while I am trying to type this blog. Most of our moments are silly and irreverent, but it is who we are. I love the relationship I enjoy with my husband. It took several years to completely trust Joe after my experiences in my first marriage. Now, there is not person I trust more. He will always protect and encourage me.

So today, there will be no Valentine's cards (so overpriced) or flowers. There is not a box of chocolate awaiting me in the other room when I finish this blog. What is in store is more sweet moments, more silly moments, and more tender moments than I can ever remember. There are kitchen clean ups after I have cooked for hours, or days depending on the event. He is not perfect, but he is mine and I love him just the way he is. We are unusual and that is perfect.

Happy Valentine's Day, Joe. You are everything I could have asked for and so much more.


I love you and I always will.

Comments

Popular Posts