Unplugged

Last weekend I attended a Winter Retreat with our Aspire youth group. It was a relief to ignore my phone. No constant messaging, no Facebook status updates, no Instagram notifications and no SPAM emails. I called home to my husband each day but my phone stayed in the dorm room with the rest of the phones I held hostage from anxious teens.

Here is the thing, we did not miss those phones constantly buzzing and vibrating. Once I returned home I paid attention to how much time I spent on my phone. I realized too much of my life is wasted on electronics.

Today I ignored my phone. I spent the day writing. I made dinner and such, but hours of writing and research were completed. Over 6,000 words in one afternoon. That would not have happened if I had my phone close by.

Do not be afraid to turn off your phone, switch off the TV and shut down the computer. Inhale deeply and enjoy the silence. Enjoy the quiet, relax and recognize the world will not fall apart if you are electronically absent for a day or so. Read your old school paper Bible instead of devotions on the internet. Completely unplug. Connect to God. Reconnect to yourself.

Comments

Popular Posts