Not My March

I have seen coverage of the Women's March in the news and on social media. Frankly, I am a little confused.

I am a woman and I have worked primarily in "male" workplaces. My behavior has dictated the manner in which I was treated. I have dealt with the misogynistic peer who made me uncomfortable. Key word, I dealt with it. I addressed is his behavior and used the policies in place to combat the situation when needed. I stood up for myself against one or two idiots. Not every man is trying to "keep you down".

I am confused how wearing body parts or holding vulgar signs empowers women. It seems to me this would send us back to kindergarten to learn some basic manners. Those women engaging in the vulgar acts are the examples foreign countries use for keeping women covered and quiet. "Look American gave it's women freedom and see what happens?".

We have more freedoms and opportunities than ANY other women in the world. President Trump has done nothing to limit your rights. So what if he makes snarky, ugly comments from time to time? Are you a saint? Have you never made a crude statement that was directed at the gender, race or religion of another? The difference...you are not on a national stage.

I do not like the vibrato of our President. Some of his statements make me cringe, but he has many competent women in high-ranking positions in his companies. He recruits based on capability and talent...not gender, not race. He is a business man, not a politically correct politician. His actions speak louder to me than his words. Only time will tell how he handles the job of President.

Next time women get up in arms, let's do something that matters. Instead of Marching with vulgar messages, let's address problems. The resources that went into that March could have been used to help abused women, shelters, homeless women and children...the list goes on. All that energy could have been used to empower women in your own communities who truly feel powerless and oppressed by their circumstances. Just the fact you could participate in that March proves you are not oppressed.

We hit obstacles. Everyone does. Not every white person enjoys white privilege...go check remote locations in West Virginia or an underpass in New York. Extreme poverty and homelessNess are not white priviledge. Poverty and homelessness are colorblind. Not every African-American person is ok with "Black Lives Matter" and I can promise you women are not all on board with the Women's March. Stop looking for a reason to divide your community and ultimately your country. Learn to be successful under your own volition and stop blaming it on your gender, race or religion.

Finally, I have received a sought after promotion in a male dominated field. The men I went up against quietly mumbled that I got the job because I was female. I was offended, i worked hard for the promotion. Eventually, I found that because of equal opportunity guidelines, I was selected. I was selected not because I was the best, but because of my gender. Another man was actually first choice and honestly more qualified. A promotion like this removes so much from advancement when you learn it should have been someone else. You question your capabilities. Is it fair for someone to get a job or promotion because the fit a specific gender, race or religion? No. We need the best person for the job and sometimes that may not be you.

May God bless each of us. May we have a measure of God's grace, mercy and forgiveness for each other. May God quiet our tongues and break our hearts for what breaks His. I love my country. I want the Trump/Pence administration to be successful for America. I want the violence and hate to stop. I want to be a better Christian, woman, wife, mother, daughter and friend than I was yesterday. I do not hate those who think differently than me. I do not un-friending people for views in opposition to mine. To do so would not reflect the love God has for me. That does not mean I have to be okay with the vulgarity and sin infesting the world around me. God be with you. Let God be with our leaders and protect our country.

 

Comments

Popular Posts