The Best Gift of All

Hopefully, everyone knows what it is like to receive that one great gift. It could be something thoughtful and small or it could be a huge blessing that comes once in a life time. Over the years I have been richly blessed. I remember some spectacular Christmas gifts. The year I got my Barbie Dream house. The year I received my professional grade Viola. Getting my first Kitchen-Aid mixer. Some spectacular gifts were outside of the Christmas season. A romantic dinner with my husband where he gave me a book of poetry after reading one of the poems in front of a packed restaurant. (He also gave me the movie Beauty and the Beast which was enduring as it is a favorite of mine.) I could sit here and list several more items that are on the "good gift" list. I have been blessed.

No gift before or after that I receive on earth, outside God's grace and mercy, will top the gift I received this weekend. One of my son's recommitted his life to Christ and my husband went to church alone. Let me elaborate on the latter. My husband attends church with us weekly. He volunteers along side of me but honestly...he can be a little hard to read sometimes. (Even for me.) He had dealt with a long week at work and we have so much to finish at our house, I honestly did not expect for him to get up and go to church with both me and my son out of town. Let me explain why this is so important to me. My husband does a lot of things because I ask him too or because one of the boys wants him to do. Joe going to church without us was evidence that he is not just going to make us happy. God is so good.

My son, Colton, has been through a lot. Several months ago I took him to the church to meet with one of our Pastors. He was in a dark place. In the midst of prayer he had a break through. He quickly moved away and did not get the discipling he needed to stand in his faith. The seed was planted.

Over the weekend Colton and our younger son Devon both received guitars for Christmas. This was a big gift. This will certainly be on their most memorable gift list. The family went in together to make this set of gifts happen. We had the boys go on a scavenger hunt for small gifts before blindfolding them and giving them the guitars to open. Both of the boys met the gifts with heartfelt emotion and a stream of tears. Some of the preliminary gifts included guitars picks that said "I Pick Jesus" and a chord book for Christian Praise and Worship, hymns and such. It was definitely a directed gift, if you get my meaning.

Before leaving to come back to West Virginia on Sunday I met with Colton, his girlfriend Anna and Anna's mother for lunch. Colton has gone to church that morning and he rededicated his life to the Lord. Colton is going to church. Yes he is a work in progress but aren't we all? To hear my son has rededicated his life was the greatest gift I could ever receive. He even told me the gift had been a push in that direction.

As we get closer to the day we celebrate the birth of Jesus, I consider the important gifts in life. The gift of salvation is the ONLY gift that never wears out, fades away, goes out of style. It is a gift you can only receive. You can guide others to the gift, but you cannot purchase it for them and put it under a tree. It is the only gift that gives life, hope and love in the purest form. As a parent praying for her children learning that your child, regardless of age, has accepted the gift of salvation, is an answer to prayer that proves to be the only gift I ever need from any of my boys.

A final word to my sons, Colton, Cody, Devon and Vincent. You remain in my prayers everyday. I pray for your salvation, for a deeper understanding and relationship with God. I pray for Godly women who will one day be your wives. I claim prosperity and health over your lives. I pour every ounce of my love into my prayers for each of you. I pray for protection as you wrestle sharks, travel, work and in everything you do. Dad and I love each of you for the person you are. We are proud to be your parents. Merry Christmas.

Comments

Popular Posts