The Promise of Youth

In August, our youth took over the weekend services. (Check out centerbranch.org and go to live stream to check out the service.) They did a great job. They stepped in to every aspect of service like pros. In some cases they even put us adults to shame.

Back in May I started helping with the youth group. I have worked with teens before, but in the church it was twenty years ago. My more recent work with teens has been through social services and probation. Needless to say, this is a vast change.

This youth group is special. I saw that when I was still, sort of working on the edges feeling for my place in the leadership. These students know more scriptural references than most adults I know. They are committed to their church, their youth group and each other in a way I have never seen. They stand for their beliefs. They stand for one another.

During the Festival of Life some of these youth were on site to volunteer almost every night. Not just the fluff stuff, they were praying for people. Prior to the Festival of LIFE, they were participating in the 21 day fast. 

Last week, I was installed "officially" as a co-leader of a small group. Can I admit I was nervous? My good friend Erin is the other leader so between us...we got this. (With love and guidance from God) We had a small group game night yesterday. My group is the youngest group of girls. We only had two of our ladies able to attend. They showed so much spirit. We had so much fun...we even placed 4th out of 6 groups...because they kept trying. I am getting to know my small group and the rest of the youth, but I loved them instantly. I pray for them constantly.

It is easy to dismiss our youth. I get frustrated with my teenage son. My older boys drove me nuts when they were teens.  I know it is a period of growth but what a roller coaster for a parent. We like to give lip service about them being our future, but how often do we see that as truth. I have the privilege of seeing this first hand. I am amazed at the dedication of this group of young people, my son included. Aspire Youth has inspired me.

To any youth or youth leaders reading this: don't forget your reading challenge. I'm doing it, are you.

Comments

Popular Posts