Closer In, Higher Up

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.  Philippians 2:12-13

Have you ever gone on a diet? The first week you drop a few pounds, water weight, then a few more pounds over the following weeks. Suddenly, the scale is not moving. If you are like me, you get upset and the diet ends in a violent death of carbs and red meat.

In my experiences, 9 out of 10 diet failures are because we do not realize we are sabotaging our efforts. We skip the gym. Have a cheat day...or 5. We excuse eating this or doing that because overall we are doing well in our minds. Please tell me you can relate. We will come back to this, so think about it.

Growth


When we grow physically we experience growing pains, or stretch marks which in my humble opinion are equally painful. Spiritual growth can be similar. In order to grow, I have to push past comfort zones. Greeting people at a registration table comes easy for me. Feeding people, comes easy for me. When I invited a stranger to church or went up to her and prayed with her...that was out of my comfort zone. (Also completely God, cause I would not have done that of my own volition.)

I'm leading a connect group this fall at my church. Someone is cheering me on saying that's great. I am looking forward to this opportunity, but between you and me...I'm also a little overwhelmed. I keep thinking..."what if I mess up". The Holy Spirit has gently reminded me, I am not doing this alone. I was an instructor. Talking in a group came easy, leading discussions or instruction segments...all easy for me. So why am I freaking out a little?

Connect groups are about growth as individuals, as a fellowship and finding commonalities that bind us together. That is a lot of responsibility. God will empower me, the Spirit will comfort me and guide the process...I'm just needing to fully let go.

Higher Up, Step-by-step


Stairs in large buildings have landings, one to two per floor. I've climbed alot of stairs in my spiritual growth, but I hit a landing. I am constantly having to reevaluate where my heart and mind are focused. Rearranging my priorities to get God in first place. It is so easy for wotk, family and other stuff to crowd in, God ends up priority 5. Incidentally, that's when everything goes to pot.

During the first two weeks of the fast I felt like I was unstoppable. I was excited and the devil had no chance to get under my skin. The last week of the fast and this first week after, I feel like I have lost steam.

Just like when my diets have failed, I can trace the current stagger in my spiritual journey. God is not doing anything different, I need to do some weeding in my spiritual garden. I cannot make excuses or let things clutter out what MUST be first in my heart and life. I need to start my day in bible study. The days I do not...boy do I struggle. There is peace and guidance starting the day in God's word. I pray daily in the morning and throughout my day, but the bible is what sets each day apart.

I have to actively press in. At this stage it is a concentrated effort to discipline myself to read the bible and actively pray. I try to surround myself with Godly, positive influences to keep my focus. It makes a difference. If you struggle with getting closer in and higher up...surround yourself with Godly influences. It helps...at least it helps me.

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts