Careers By God

Yesterday, I went for what I thought would be a hardcore interview. The interview was lightening fast. A quick look at credentials, explanation of the position and company, then I was whisked out the door to meet other partner companies. A "career fair" environment was part of the event, much to my surprise. It is funny to see the shock on a recruiter's face when they hear you say, "I am not desperate for a new job. I simply want to use my education and grow in this particular career field." It is the first time I have ever been able to just walk in and be wholly myself. It was an incredible experience for me. No, I do not have any offers. I have contact people and I was introduced to a company that I now yearn to work for. Their recruiter was energetic and engaging. We talked about the company culture and how they take care of their people. At this stage in life, my experience and education are going to bring the salary I need. I am more interested in the environment I would be transitioning too.

I am in an interesting place in life. I know I do not want to be an auto damage adjuster for the rest of my life. This job does not fulfill that need to "contribute to the greater good". It is a good job for a stable, growing company. I have a great rapport with my colleagues. I have a supervisor that has the gift for positive leadership. I respect and trust my supervisor and peers; that is a rare gift in the workplace. That being taken into consideration, my job is lonely. I see my supervisor about once a week. I see my colleagues every few months. Any contact I have with peers is usually by phone or email. I meet with 4-8 customers on a given day. These are short interactions before and after I appraise the damages to their vehicle. I am isolated. Although we have a great team culture in our work group, the culture lacks connection. Frankly, I miss people. I miss being able to grab lunch with a colleague. I even miss the obligatory office parties or co-worker fundraiser help requests. (I had to hunt for girl scouts to buy cookies from last year.)

Since I have this situation where I am not desperate for work these companies are seeing a person who wants to work for them...not needs to work for them. It changes the dynamic. The great thing about my unique position. I can be selective about the choices I make. I am not under pressure to take whatever comes along. If the yearning to work for your company isn't there, I keep doing what I am doing. There is an element of selection that I have never enjoyed before. It's nice.

The God Part of the Title


I have been contemplating about the people in the Bible. Especially the women of the Bible. We often get lost in their stories as if we are children hearing a bedtime story. We miss the point that these were people. Just like you or I. Yes, they lived in a different time with different cultural obligations and rules that we may not understand. They were just people.

In the course of these contemplations, a friend from church asked about female leadership books. Books there were for female leaders in the church. This sparked my interest. Prior to being a probation officer I read "The Art of War". It is a key in military and business strategy. I did not find exactly what I was looking for in faith based, female leadership based. Most of what I found included books on how to control your emotions or embrace your emotions. No offense. These are great books and helpful if you are in that season, but I want to grow as a leader. People have told me since I was a child that I was a leader. I never embraced it fully...till recently.

I have just opened the cover on "Positive Leadership Principles for Women" by Karol Ladd. It arrived in the mail this morning. I am 19 pages in and I already have things to talk about and apply.

I Can Whine or I Can Worship


This first chapter of the book is title "Rise to the Challenge". It begins with a scripture reference and a quote from Nancy Leigh DeMoss, "I have learned that in every circumstance that comes my way, I can choose to respond in one of two ways; I can whine or I can worship!". They go one to tell the story of Sir Edmund Hillary who successfully claimed Mount Everest in 1953. His story is utilized to set the basis for the idea we need to make our mountains (afflictions, aspirations etc.) into learning experiences.

This is confirmation to me. Every struggle I have gone through has prepared me for another phase in life. Be it helping another through a similar situation or just toughening my resolve. Every choice I have made has put me where I am right now. I love my life. Sure there are things I want to see improved, but I am learning to accept God's time. (Some days waiting on the Lord is not even in the same zip code as successfully waiting on the Lord. Can I get an AMEN?) I am happy, loved and blessed more than I can convey. Last week was a nightmare of a week, but I found time to praise God in the pop-up storms during my week and it made be grow stronger.

You Are Up Anyway


I have a gold medal in worrying. I have a silver in planning for every thing I worry about. I am a problem solver. I don't see an issue and just give up and walk away. I make a plan. There are things I have quit, but honestly I am not a quitter by nature. (Unless it is diets or the gym.) So as I am reading this little book on leadership for women I find a short little prayer that was used by Mary Crowley, the founder of Home Interiors. It goes like this:

"Lord, You know I've got to get my rest. You worry about these problems. You're going to be up all night anyway."


Guess what has been added to my nightly prayer. It addresses our weakness. It puts faith in God to handle things and acknowledges that he is all powerful. Short and simple...but powerful. This sort of inspires a slight change in the perspective of my connect group. We were talking about not being quitters, but most of us were not quitters. We stalled out, we did not give up. So it will be about continually commitment.



And The Point Is?


Be happy where you are, with what you have. If you can be trusted with small responsibilities, you can handle the big stuff. Take this season in your life for what it is worth...a learning experience. (In other words, embrace the suck and learn from it.) Prayerfully solve problems and make plans. God is going to open the door to whatever is best for me. When the door opens, I will be able to recognize God's handiwork.

If it doesn't exist or needs to be improved, don't wait for someone else to do it, do it  yourself. I am studying women of the bible and trying to get my hands on various leadership materials. It there is not book like my friend wants...we will just have to make one.

 

Comments

Popular Posts