Glimpse into A Writer's World

I am not a sports person. I will watch live sports…especially hockey, but even with hockey I don’t get all the calls and plays. I admire athletes, their dedication and drive, sports just never really showed up on my radar. I was an arts and history person throughout school and that is where my passion remained. I mention sports because everyone knows athletes have some odd rituals and superstitions. Artists do as well, but athletes seem to have theirs more publicized, such as Olympians biting their gold medals.  

This is a glimpse into my pre-game ritual. 20160817_115122

This picture looks pretty simple. A nice little work space. This is where I write when I am working on my novel. My better blogs (the ones with few errors) are written here. I often do my bible study in this space. When I work in this space it has to start just as you see it. Let me explain this space.

The desk is actually an antique dressing table that I refinished about two years ago. It was my Granny Wheeler’s as was the lamp and the figurine on the desk. The figurine is a lion cub and has Psalm 31:24 inscribed “Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord.” The lamp sat on this table for many years in my Granny’s apartment. It is a touch lamp with a mind or spirit of its own. It has turned on or off with no one near it. No I am not haunted, but I do have an angel looking out for me.

There is always a candle either on the desk or on the dresser behind me. I’m not sure why but I like to have a candle burning when I write. Before you say it is about the fragrance, I have burned unscented candles so that is not the reason. I think it is just a comforting thing. There are tissues on the desk. When I write, be it my blog or my novel, I am emotionally invested. I pour a lot out of myself into what I write. I often joke that crying in my prayer language. Well, I cry when I write. I am surprised that I have not shorted out my laptop yet.

I have my cup of hot tea or coffee depending on the time of day. In either my Centerbranch or Scooby-Doo coffee mug. Even the two different mugs have meaning. The mug from my church usually indicates I am working on my new endeavor or I am working on my bible study. Scooby usually means I am doing something more light hearted or flat out silly. Eventually it will be a giant water bottle on the desk, but I always start with something hot and soothing. When I sit down and start writing it is like meeting a friend at Starbuck’s. It is a relationship. We reacquaint and then we dig in.

Other funny things about this space. It has to be freshly dusted. I also needed a mirror. Not because I like to ponder my reflection, but because sometimes you need to start with the person in the mirror. I mentioned a few days ago change, real change starts with the individual. I told countless people that if they wanted to change they could, but they had to take stock. They had to be honest with themselves and start there. That is the reason for the mirror. When I am tempted to get a little too big for my breeches, I only have to look up and remember I cannot lie to me. (Or anyone else, ask my Mom or husband – I am really, really bad at lying.)

The last component cannot be seen. It is perhaps the most important component of my writing next to the words themselves.

music staff

Music. Either classical or Christian music is playing while I write my novel.  Musical selections vary when I write my blog and sometimes the blog is written while the family is watching TV. However, we cancelled subscription TV, ok we do have Netflix and HULU, but no cable or DISH. It does take a little more effort to turn on something, so we do not just turn it on to have it on now. There is more talking, more music and most importantly more writing.

So what is your ritual. It doesn’t have to be before you write, maybe you are an athlete or a performer, a teacher etc. I would love to hear what you do to prepare yourself and your space.

Comments

Popular Posts