Making New Friends

Unfortunately this is not a topic much discussed for adults, but maybe it should be. I have two dear close friends that have been with me for life. I had an array of acquaintances that filled my social circle and brought me joy back home. Meeting new people seemed easy. People were open to becoming friends and socializing with new people.
Keep in mind home for me is Fayetteville, NC. Home to Fort Bragg.

I am a third generation native to the Fayetteville area. It is transient with the moving and relocating of military families. I have realized there was an unexpected benefit to growing up in a military town. I learned to adapt to new classmates and people quickly. Perhaps the constant move required by the military life made my peers and neighbors more socially open. It must have been a key to survival as a child or spouse of a soldier.

I now live in West Virginia. The people are very nice, but they have been friends and neighbors for generations. My husband, children and I become a bit of a novelty for a while, but forming friendships seems much harder here.

I would love a girls nights. (Not a crazy drinking, trouble making girls night.) I am talking just dinner, conversation...I would even be willing to go shopping. (I HATE going shopping) Sometimes you just need to unwind with someone you are not married too or biologically obligated to care for. I need a person to help drive me, that I can help drive. I do not need or want to replace my best friends back home, but an expansion in the circle would certainly be welcome.

Comments

Popular Posts