God? Is that you?

When I was a little girl the concept of God was a scary entity that could flood the earth and smit thee. I always kind of associated God with my late Grandfather Wheeler. He was a loving man but very intimidating to his grandchildren. He had a deep booming voice and was a little gruff. He loved us with all his heart, but no nonsense. That is how I used to see God. Not much by way of sense of humor, loves us deeply but as responsible for discipline, he is strict.

I'm an adult now and that concept has changed. I believe God is all powerful. I believe Jesus died for my sins and rose again. I believe they have a sense of humor too.

I read my morning devotion today. I have been stressed and worried over financial issues and health concerns. I turned to another page in my devotional, from February 14, and it spoke directly to my worries and fears. It told me to let it go...He has this. The first thought in my mind was God nudging Jesus giggling and commenting "see what I did there". I likewise imagine Jesus going "really, Dad? Maybe something original, what happened to burning bushes and Angel sightings?"

Don't mistake me, I don't picture it like a puppet master. More like us as parents getting excited when one of our efforts pays off. I envision us overcoming our obstacles as the heavenly version of the Super Bowl. No this is not the way it is, but it is hard to pray and talk to God like a friend when you imagine Him as intimidating, without humor, and ready to discipline. My bizarre concept helps me talk to my heavenly Father and that is the important aspect at the end of the day.

God gave me a sense of humor and an imagination...I think he expects me to use it.

Comments

Popular Posts