Are you Cultured?

I have acquaintances that refer to me as cultured. I know what the conjures in my mind and frankly, I'm not it.

In fairness, this conversation plays out the scene from "Pride and Prejudice" when Mr. Darcy and Miss. Elizabeth discuss the merits of an accomplished  female.

The area I grew up in and those I grew up around had tendencies to be more narrow in their interest. They were into sports more than anything else and main stream music. I am not a sports fanatic, in fact I cannot watch sport unless they are live. It just does not hold my interest.

I can quote the entire "Phantom of the Opera" libretto. I recognize classical music pieces. I am familiar with Dante, Austin and Poe. Some classic novels I've read I confuse with their movies, it's been so long since I read or saw them they fuse together. I like a little Elle Fitzgerald, Nina Simone and Duke Ellington. I believe music was at its height during their time and when the Gershwins gifted us with their talent. I love Rogers and Hammerstein.

Most people don't realize these things about me, but those who do end up referring to me as cultured. I have broadened interest for sure but to be cultured I believe that I have further to go. More reading, more music, more experiences to obtained that cultured status.

I was not quite smart enough to be a nerd, so I guess cultured was the label that fit me best. I'm fine with the label, I just wish I served it better.

Comments

Popular Posts