Where Did This Come From

I want to accomplish a few things with my blog.
1. Being genuine. Open, honest and hopefully not too raw.
2. To find humor in the mundane. We trudge along everyday, I think it is important to laugh...even at ourselves.
3. To learn about myself and others. I have already connected to other blogs and discovered new things of value to me or people I care about.
4. To clear some of the busy thoughts out of my head. (Congratulations! If you are reading this you have wandered into my random thoughts. Straight jackets to the left, drinks to the right...everything that's purple is mine unless you say pretty please.)

They say that for people who can't shut down their minds to rest, journaling is a way of clearing out their thoughts and slowing down. I observe so many things and then tend to analyze them when my day slows down.  I'm not manic about them but I don't think my analysis is typical. What I am slowly discovering is there are a lot of people that are like me. They ramble because there is so much clanking around in their head they have trouble finding their point. Or maybe they see the different points of views.

When you step back and really look at other perspectives it will complicate your life. Suddenly what was black and white, is not so clear any more. Everything has layers.

Many of us have people in our lives we just don't understand. They make decisions we think are irrational, dangerous, ok, face it we call it stupid. We see criminals on the news and make instant judgments that they are monsters. Well, the decisions are stupid and the crimes are monstrous but what lead to that happening.

My son has a teacher that refuses to teach music in guitar class. He put supplies on top of my son's guitar ( brand new guitar at that). My son got mad and made a smart remark that was disrespectful. I'm not ok with my son being disrespectful to his teacher, he has been taught better. After digging into things we understood his anger and we are mad ourselves, but we still did not condone his actions.

Likewise, I was a probation officer  working with a young man who was on for sell and delivery of drugs. He always said it was the only life he knew. I don't think a bad childhood justifies or excuses being a criminal. Eventually, I learned his mother was strung out on drugs from the time he was very young and his Dad had always been locked up. The local drug dealer looked out for him as he grew up. He bought things for the boy and when he was a little older asked him to drop things off on his way to school or pick things up from people at the playground. This young man would not say no to someone taking care of him. Understanding that bad childhood helped me in his rehabilitation process.

I know everything I've written lately has been so light and this is kind of heavy. I just think we need to see people and hear their story before we decide what they are worth. People struggle with disabilities that we cannot see. People face personal obstacles we may or may not be able to imagine. Let's stop living for ourselves.

That's my soapbox. Please feel free to thank all the political mess on TV this morning for getting me going in this direction.

Comments

Popular Posts