The Art of Compromise

The on-going saga of trying to reduce from two vehicles to one has reached its conclusion. After waiting most of the day having our vehicles valuated and then discussing financing options, we left the dealership in what can best be described as a huff. The salesman was nice, I think he may have been new. My husband and I have worked in car sales so we know how this works. We knew the negative equity we were facing, but we also know the value of our cars. I adjust cars for a living so I'm not just pulling values off the Internet. The dealership low balled the values by about $5000. They quoted us one thing over the phone and we're $15,000 higher after the 1.5 hour drive to the dealership. We were not happy.

So we called the sales lady back that we bought our previous two vehicles from to talk about the Jeep. It's a done deal. They are delivering it on Monday to West Virginia. (Talk about customer service). No games, no shuck and jive. She told us what we could get for what we wanted to spend payment wise and she worked out the details. In a few years when it is time for the big truck to pull my little house, I'll be buying in North Carolina. They have been amazing every time.

I am going to take a side bar and jump on a soap box for a moment. Car dealerships and sales persons take note. Treat customers like you want your Mother treated. I cannot tell you how many places we have gone where I was invisible. Today I turned the tables and frankly think I scared the salesman. (My husband laughed the whole time) I was the one popping the hood, looking under the vehcile at the suspension and discussing the merits or lack there of regarding aluminum body vehicles. The salesman told my husband said he has never seen a woman pop the hood of a vehicle she was looking to buy. Ladies, pop the damn hood. Many salesmen know as much about the engine as you just read on the sticker. Just open the hood and look, see if you easily identify or reach where to fill your washer fluid. (The salesperson never has to know what you are looking at.) I generally don't talk much during these events, I like to let people develop their own ideas. Ladies don't be invisible, gentlemen don't let people make them invisible. This is the single most aggravating thing about vehcile shopping...especially in West Virgina.

Back to the vehcile reduction. Right now the Jeep is the wiser choice with the kids. Gas mileage is a little better, passenger room a little better and we don't need to get running boards, covers or bedliners for practical reasons. It is a nice vehicle. It has all the bells and whistles I could want...maybe I'll get a different work vehicle. Probably not.

The point is we will save an additional $225 per month that we can put toward paying down debt and building savings. That is the focus of this compromise. Afterall, my husband did not hold me to the driving a Gremlin comment. Whew...dodged that bullet.

From the soon to be less in debt and one car lighter Gallien Family.

Comments

Popular Posts