Financially Independent

What a phrase? Say it slowly, think about what it means to you. I know people that it means winning the lottery.  Since I've only bought a handful of lottery tickets in my life, that is not a likely outcome for me.

Financial independence is not about being wealthy to me. It is not even about being 100% debt free, though that is my goal. To me financially Independent means having to replace the tires on my car and not frantically recalculating my budget to find the money. It means going to the doctor and not worrying about how I'll pay for co-pays or meds. It's being able to plan vacation with thinking we may have to cancel if (insert situation here) happens. It's helping others without hurting myself financially.

I want money to have the roll it is supposed to have in my life. That of a tool, no greater or lesser than a hammer. Just used more frequently. I want it's power over my daily life diminished and that only happens with the elimination of debt, of excess stuff.

Don't misunderstand I like nice, quality things, especially for my home. I want 1000 thread count sheets, but I don't need several sets that cost 100s of 1000s of dollars. I don't need excess. I can live simply, with quality and reduce. That's my goal. That is financial independence to me. Your definition may be different and that's ok, good luck with the lottery.

Comments

Popular Posts